by Lance Harvey
10 Great Sites to Consider in New York City
Top 10 student favorites!
New York City is the most popular destination for middle and high school students and their parents. While the city offers world-class theatre and entertainment, simply touring the city is a life-changing experience. Even though NYC’s cost of living still ranks as one of the highest in the country, you will never run out of incredible sites to entertain your group. Consider these ten student favorites.
1. Greenwich Village walking tour - A stroll through ‘The Village’ (as its known by locals) will give you a true insider’sfeel of NYC. Greenwich Village may be best known as an artists' haven, the bohemian capital, and the East Coast birthplace of the Beat movement.
2. Today Show window – Give your group their 15 minutes of fame by standing outside a live broadcast of the most famous morning show in America!
3. St. Patrick's Cathedral - This Neo-Gothic-style Roman Catholic cathedral is the seat of the archbishop of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York and one of the most famous landmarks in NYC.
4. Rockefeller Center- Known as “The Rock” , enjoy a guided tour of the rich history and breathtaking artistry of New York's most famous landmark.
5. Cathedral of St. John the Divine - Tour the cathedral of the Episcopal Diocese of New York , which disputes with Liverpool Anglican Cathedral the title of the largest cathedral and Anglican church and fourth largest Christian church in the world.
6. Chinatown/Little Italy - No student tour is complete without a stroll through the streets of these iconic neighborhoods offering students an authentic glimpse into the cultural roots of America and provides unique shopping bargains and a culinary delight.
7. Harlem drive by - En route to Manhattan, begin your tour by visiting the home of the ‘Harlem Renaissance’, including the world famous Apollo Theatre and other iconic landmarks in African American history.
8. Central Park - A leisurely stroll through this breathtaking and iconic landmark offers a well- appreciated time out from the bustling city as students can picnic, watch a ball game, visit the zoo, skating rink or Strawberry Fields.
9. Times Square - Students will never forget their first glimpse of Times Square and can not possibly get enough of this heartbeat of NYC. This is the ‘City That Never Sleeps’ and offers an unforgettable group photo opportunity.
10.Fifth Avenue walk - The most famous avenue of high-end shopping in America, students treasure the opportunity to visit the landmark stores of some of the world’s most famous department, jewelry, fashion and toy companies.